You are here
Specialist Knowledge for Teaching Mathematics – Secondary Early Career Teachers - Phase 1
Who can take part?
Phase 1 Communities in this project are for those identified as Early Career Teachers – teachers in their first or second year of teaching.
What is involved?
This project has been designed to support newly qualified and recently qualified maths teachers during the early years of their career to help develop strong and capable practitioners. Delving deeply into multiplicative reasoning, participants will have opportunities to observe learning and consider task design.
Two maths-specific subject knowledge projects are available to support secondary Early Career Teachers (ECTs) – one is for ECTs who have not yet participated in this project and one is for those who participated in 2022/23. Both projects offer high-quality subject knowledge and pedagogy maths support for ECTs, recognising the requirements of the ECF.
The communities formed as part of the project provide an opportunity for participants’ conversation to remain focused on the teaching of maths, with teachers at a similar stage of their career.
What will you learn?
- Your students will be seen to elaborate when responding to questions, showing that their answer stems from a secure understanding
- You will identify essential concepts, knowledge, skills within the topic area and provide opportunity for all students to learn and master these critical components
- You will develop an understanding of approaches to assess students’ prior learning, so that learning sequences are planned to take this into account
What is the cost?
The SKTM Secondary Early Career Teachers Programme is fully funded by the Maths Hubs Programme so is free to participating schools.
Have a look at this feature to learn more about the resources available to Early Career Teachers on the NCETM website.
This Work Group will comprise both online and face to face meetings, the latter being held at Oxford Spires Academy. Dates and times are as follows:
- 12/01/24 9-1pm (Face to face)
- 25/01/24 2-5pm (online)
- 09/02/24 12-4pm (online)
- 01/03/24 2-5pm (online)
- 28/03/24 9-1pm (Face to face)
The timings of the face to face meetings may be subject to change to accoomdate the needs of the group. Your Work Group Lead will be Usman Nasir.
Additional event details